Chat translation feature

21 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: -1

1. Elinoria,

Hello.

I've noticed sometimes that there have been language issues in the chat where other players at my table speak a language different from my own.

To help reduce language confussion, I feel it would be helpful if chat messages showed up with a button next to them to translate them to whatever language you want.

Score: +1

2. Hassanraza,

You can do the similar thing if you use the Translate addon with NVDA.

3. glad,

its better to have for playroom for playroom website

4. davidhs1200,

Yes, but for anyone who does not use the site and is not in Nvda, this can be an excellent solution, for example I do not understand 100% English, and by the time I copy the message, open Google Translate, paste the message, read the message and write a new answer, two minutes can pass. So a translation feature can save people time and facilitate the conversation between people who have language difficulties

Score: +0

5. Emerald,

You do know you can use google translation or ask the person to say in english. Acording to the general rules when I last checked, it is also not allowed to talk in another language other than server language you are on unless its not a public table.
Talking in another language whilst you know that other do not speak it is incredibly rude in my opinion and shouldn’t be done anyways. Thats why you have a pm function and you can use that to communicate in another language.
As a tm, you have powers to kick or ban and as a general player who isn’t, I think this a lawful action to report to moderators as it stated it in the rules.
I doubt the developer will implement such a feature for all the reasons above. Good day everyone.

6. davidhs1200,

I personally have a problem with English most of the time, and as I said, such a feature can save people a lot of time in communication. There are such bots in Discord for such reasons. And rude people don't consider anyone. I know this because I had an argument with several people who were speaking Arabic at a table I was managing and I just left the table because I was thrown out of the conversation or I didn't understand what they were saying and by the time I translated they left the table

Score: -2

7. Emerald,

So why did you not kick them out or ban or report it?
Playroom doesn’t look like it has the resources to do this kind of thing. The translation is based on people availability and is time consuming I would have imagined.
Don’t make your life hard and focus on these things. It’s really not that deep if you don’t understand. It happens in real life where people think they can talk in front of you in another language. You just walk away

8. davidhs1200,

It was a group, if it was one person I would do it, and apart from that I wasn't looking for fights. I'm not here to describe my problems lol. I just came to support an idea that I think would be useful to the room

9. Aminiel,

Hello,

It could certainly be useful for non english speaking people, but anyway, translation services aren't free unfortunately.
Itss free for reasonable and personal use, but as soon as you think about installing it on a server and begin having volume, you have to pay in one way or another.
So in any case it's out of the question, as we can't afford it as a free gaming platform, unless you make a massive donation.

Discord is a company, so they can afford translation bots and/or they are paid in some way by premium members or server/community administrators where they are installed.

The best you can do is using NVDA translation add-ons, as already suggested.

As a reminder, you aren't allowed to speak another language when you are at a public table. Doing so is rude for those who don't speak that language.
At a private table, you can speak whatever language you want, as you are supposed to have agreed about it.

Last edited by Aminiel, Jun 17 2024 17:23:13

10. glad,

where to install this add on and how to use it. and how website users can translate is there a way also on phone .

Last edited by glad, Jun 17 2024 17:52:37

11. kaiba,

Link to addon the aforementioned translation https://nvda.es/files/get.php?file=it For phone users, there may be a solution for Android users by activating automatic translation in the screen reader Jieshuo

12. Elinoria,

I was thinking that this feature would work by having a translation button next te each chat message. When pressed, this button would translate the message to the server language.

13. Nikola,

Hello,
for those not using NVDA, you can make use of the QTranslate application, https://qtranslate-app.web.app/

The last time I used it, it was a little convoluted to set up, but once you configured all the shortcuts, it was possible to translate any text you want and hear it spoken via TTS by using some configured global hotkeys. I hope its accessibility didn't regress, it was a little broken in some places, but it was usable.
In case people can't figure it out, I can give it another try and write some more exact instructions.

Score: +2

14. Elinoria,

Sorry for any confution brought about by my last message. I just realized that you were talking about the NVDA feature. I'm sorry about that.

15. glad,

am using proodence screan reader and talkback sadly jesuo is not available on playstore. is there another way?

16. Aminiel,

I was thinking that this feature would work by having a translation button next te each chat message. When pressed, this button would translate the message to the server language.

IF there is a solution to translate incoming english text to your language with screen reader add-ons, unfortunately I don't know about a so easy way to do the converse, i.e. translate from your language to english before sending your message.
Beside copy/paste into a translation app or website, I don't know about something quickier. Please share if you have something !

17. ZestfulVibes,

it should exists

18. glad,

how to get commentary screan reader

19. kaiba,

This is the software repository from github https://github.com/nirenr/jieshuo

20. glad,

thanks a lot but its paied mostly the good features are in pro version. the free is like talkback. thanks though a lot for surching but since its paid I will think about it.

21. The-Chaos,

I use the instant translate add-on. Control space, Insert Shift T, Shift T. Not perfect but it works.

21 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post.

Lost password ? Create account