option in little exam to disable manual point allocation (refused)

5 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: -1

1. horse,

Can there be an option to disable the p key for allocating points during a game? All it takes is one player to decide to ruin the game if they feel like it. Obviously the solution is to only play with people who you know won't do that, but it would make it easier to play with others you don't know as well if this feature is disabled altogether. I'm thinking it should be disabled by default, because most people aren't going to worry about modifying the scores.

Score: +0

2. YNWA,

I think the ability to add or remove points is important because people from experience will say the same thing but spell it differently. This means they get 2 points when they should get 1. If people have given an excellent answer then they deserve a bonus point. I know I haven't played this game for ages but I have never seen a person give more than 2 bonus points. Have you any examples where someone has given say 10 or 20 points?

I have played a game of Cribbage where someone was trying to type 8 or 9 and typed in 89 and that ended the game but you just start again.

Score: +2

3. Nikola,

Hello,
basically I agree with YNWA.

I have nothing against this option being added, but I really don't think this should be the default. This is because at least in the games I play in my community, this option is never used to randomly modify the scores, but there's a purpose behind it.

• Either someone misspelled something and then another person typed that same answer but with a correct spelling, in which case the game won't correctly interpret them as the same word, so with manual points we can fix it so they both get a point, of course you can personally agree on the different rules so that the one with a correct spelling wins over, but that's usually not what we do, unless the spelling is really horrible,
  • Or an answer was incorrectly refused when we all agree later on it should have been accepted. In this case you need to manually add points to fix it, 2 or 1, or if that person is the one who stopped the round, you need to add even more.

Depending on the mode you play, even if somebody screws up really badly and adds 100 points to a wrong person, the game won't end right away. You can still fix it before the round ends, but well, if the judge doesn't want to fix that, then it's really not even worth playing with that kind of judge in the future. I think you will just face even worse trust issues than adding/removing points manually, and it kind of already shows whether it's worth playing the game with that opponent or not.

I was going to suggest that there should be a limit and you shouldn't be able to add/remove more than 2 points, but then stopping the round was implemented, and now there's really a legitimate case to add more than 2.
Well, 5 is the maximum amount of points you can earn when stopping the round with 9 categories, and I guess we could set this limit to 12.
I reached 12 because 2 for a correct answer, 5 to negate the penalty because the correct answer was refused by mistake, and 5 more to add the bonus back for stopping the round.
You really shouldn't have any legitimate case to add or remove more than that unless I'm missing something. Of course even with that kind of limit this can still have an illegitimate usage, but this is a special kind of game already that requires more trust and responsibility than others. If you disabled adding and removing points completely, you may have a legitimate case to do it in one round and then you will find yourself not being able to.

I have played a game of Cribbage where someone was trying to type 8 or 9 and typed in 89 and that ended the game but you just start again.

By the way this is now fixed, and in such a case, the maximum amount of mugging points your opponent can get is 10.

Score: +1

4. Emerald,

Yeah please don’t disable it. Most of us don’t abuse of this feature and once or twice I had people deny points because of ignorance when they should have done research or asked or at least given a point. Maybe we could limit per round how many points can be given like one or two points but, in my view, just learn who to play with and exclude those who ruin the rules. Maybe in that way they will unterstand that game breaking is not acceptable?

Score: +0

5. Aminiel,

Hello,

The little exam requires a certain amount of trust among players / requires you to be honnest with your peers, so to judge and be dugjed fair enough, and this includes manually adjusting the scores when necessary. As already said, there are several situations where it comes in handy.

Given that the system can't detect or resolve automatically all situations, manually adjusting the scores is regularely necessary.

If someone isn't judging or adapting scores as you expect, and if you can't have a discussion about what chould/should be considered correct or not, you probably shouldn't play with him/her in the future.

Score: +1

Last edited by Aminiel, Jul 17 2024 17:35:29

5 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post.

Lost password ? Create account