Monopoly player suggestion: An optional rule to not collect rent from properties while in jail (accepted)

7 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +6

1. Nikola,

Hello,
posting this suggestion on behalf of Defender, who is a new user and couldn't yet post on the forum.

His message is as follows:

My request is for an optional rule where those in jail can not collect rent from players who land on their properties until they get out of jail.
I have always wondered why this is not a rule in the original game, as it allows people to collect rent while safely hoping to not roll for doubles in the later game when moving is risky.
If enabled, this rule would remove that method. It makes more sense realistically anyway, in my opinion.
Thanks!

Score: +0

2. YNWA,

I have a braille version of Monopoly and have noted some of the key points that were written in the rules.

Note:

When a player is "sent to jail" his/her turn ends there. He/she cannot collect £200 salary in that move since, regardless of where his/her token is or of the path of the board, he/she must move his/her token directly into jail.

A player may buy and erect a house, sell or buy property and collect rent even though he/she is in jail.

I guess they are saying that a loss of £200 is the punishment. In real life people would earn income if sent to prison if they are rich enough. Buying Orange properties is a good option to have a good chance of winning the game. In the PR version you can land on free parking or go if in reverse.

I think the rule is fine as there advantages and disadvantages to how it works now. If you go to jail at the start a better chance to buy the Orange properties or land on free parking. I don't think you would choose to stay in jail at the start as you can lose out on buying properties.

Score: -1

3. Aminiel,

Hello,

After a bit of research, it seems like it was a quite common house rule in some countries in the 60s and 70s. Getting rents while being in jail was perceived as immoral, i.e. you weren't supposed to make money while you are in jail repairing a fault. But since then, it became quite forgotten.

However, I didn't know until today that the rule has been resurrected in 2014 and promoted as an official optional rule, along with the double salary when landing on start, the free parking jackpot, and a few others.
They were all common house rules, but none of them were official before 2014.

So I will certainly implement this new rule as well soon.

Thank you for pointing that out !

As already well explained by Nikola, it can be quite interesting to stay in jail near the end of the game, when almost all squares are owned. This rule makes this strategy much less interesting.

Score: +3

Last edited by Aminiel, Jul 17 2024 17:19:51

4. Aminiel,

Hello,

This rule is now available in beta, along with another new one (lucky double one). If everything is fine, it will be available for everybody very soon.

Score: +1

5. Nikola,

Hi,
unfortunately no, I think the translations weren't updated properly, since we get both options jjust as string names, "noptRJ" and "noptLuckyD1".

Thanks.

Edit: Fixed, at first glance everything seems to work correctly.

Last edited by Nikola, Jul 21 2024 18:50:59

6. CathyAnne,

Well, I notice that you cannot read the posts that people send using the client when I press the enter key to read the full post. can you fix this?

Score: +0

7. Nikola,

Hello,
@CathyAnne this doesn't have anything to do with this topic, but nevertheless feel free to message us via F4 and explain more about this problem.
Do you notice this with every post, or just certain specific ones?

So far I've never noticed this, so we will need more information.

Speaking of this topic, is this feature still meant to stay in beta? Its existance may have been forgotten...
Seems to be working fine, at least as far as I've tried.

7 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post.

Lost password ? Create account