New game suggesting: Old maid

2 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Score: +4

1. Qais,

Hello,

I don't recall seeing this game suggested before.
Old Maid can be played using standard cards. I remember we used to play it with 49 cards, excluding 3 kings and keeping the king of spades.
However, I found on Wikipedia that the rules also allow for excluding 1 or 3 queens, so it can be played with 51 cards, or with 2 decks if there are more than 5 players.
The cards are shuffled and distributed equally among the players, except for the dealer, who gets one more card than the others. For example, with 4 players, each player gets 12 cards, and the dealer gets 13 cards.
Each player discards their cards by pairing them, e.g., 2 with 2, 4 with 4, and so on. A Jack is discarded with another Jack. After discarding, the player draws a card from the hand of the player to their right. In real life, the cards must be shuffled and turned so the player cannot know which card they will draw.
If the player draws a discardable card, they discard their cards and then let the player to their left draw a card from their hand in the same way.
It would be fun if, for example, you had 4 of hearts, and the player next to you had 4 of diamonds. You would need to constantly draw cards randomly until you get the card or they get it, which depends on your random choices.
Every player who finishes discarding their cards and has no cards left in their hand leaves the game as a winner, like in Zanzibar.
The last player left with the extra card, the King of Spades or a queen, is the loser.
The draw part of the game is based on luck, so I'm not sure how it would work in Playroom, but I have an idea.
Show a list containing unnamed items in the same order as the player's hand. For example, if Player X has 4 cards and the third card is the 9 of Spades, when Player Y draws from Player X's hand, Y will see 4 items. If they choose the third item, they will get the 9 of Spades.
To make this idea more interesting, we could allow Player X to change the order of the cards in their hand using shift and arrow keys, or simply shuffle the cards. This adds a layer of fun but still keeps the game partly dependent on luck.
Additionally, while Playroom has special rules for some games, a rule could be added to make the game more exciting by introducing penalty points for a player who pairs cards incorrectly.
For kings and queens, the game can choose them randomly as in Bouillabaisse, or add options to customize this as in Barbu.

There is more Variations and rules I found here)
Thanks.

Score: +2

2. CathyAnne,

Well, that sounds quite interesting. Well, we will have to leave that up to the administrators to see whether they want to emplament this game on to the play room.

Score: +1

2 messages, 1 pages:  1 ↖ Go back to topic list

Answer to topic

You must be connected in order to be allowed to post.

Lost password ? Create account