Time limit option in dominoes

7 Mensagens, 1 Páginas:  1 ↖ Voltar a lista de tópicos

Pontuação: -1

1. CREADOR,

The title says it all. It would be great if a time limit option were added to dominoes. It’s not fair that some people take half an hour to make a move.

Pontuação: +0

2. Exink,

I'm not trying to be mean, but the argento in your previous post had some point. Wouldn't it be the same thing for the rest of the games? Also, what would be the penalty if someone won't play under the time limit? Playing a random tile? Discarding another random one? Scoring certain amount of points? I'm not quite sure if adding a time limit for every game is as important as setting up the new options system, to say the least. It should be noted that the above is just my opinion.

Pontuação: +1

3. glad,

I agree but in some games people create tables and don't play after requesting twice. its also rood to kick or bann for such a reason.

4. CREADOR,

Same as I said, it would be optional, just like in games like Ninety-Nine or Uno... but still, it would definitely add a lot more excitement to certain games like 1000 miles, dominoes, or Scopa. The same thing happens in those games that already have a time limit. I know some of us prefer a more laid-back game, but there are also those who look for a bit of thrill, and a time limit would definitely spice things up.

5. Nikola,

Hello,
if we are talking about Dominoes, it can probably work fine, and probably be the same as Uno.
However, if we are talking about a time limit in all games, this isn't possible.
In particular, you mentioned Scopa and 1000 miles, and these are the games where it isn't possible.

• Scopa: A certain number of cards is dealt to each player, a round ends after all the cards have been played. It is thus impossible to skip someone's turn completely (which is what happens when the time expires). This same logic applies to all the trick-taking games too. Not only that, but even if it was possible, after someone makes a scopa, you can use the time limit to your advantage and avoid putting any cards on the table.
  • 1000 miles: Nothing suitable or consistent can be applied when the time expires. A player is always supposed to have 6 cards at the end of their turn, and draw one at the beginning of the next turn, unless the deck is empty. So, if we introduce a time limit, this means that you can draw cards as much as you want, and use the time limit to your advantage to skip your turn and thus not junk anything. That is particularly benefitial if you are currently blocked and can't drive.

The only solution, for both of these cases is play something random instead of skipping your turn. However, play something random is in my opinion quite a bad design and shouldn't be done.
If it happens to be a good move by coincidence, the game played itself and you won a round by doing nothing, seems a little silly.

On the other hand, it's possible to go in a completely different direction and instead of applying a penalty, have a global timer, rather than a turn-specific timer. In that case, after that global timer runs out, you lose the game. However, this wouldn't solve your problem.
That global timer can't be something ridiculously short like 15 seconds, it would have to be at least 20 minutes and up depending on the game. This means that in practice, even if I take one minute per turn, nothing really bad happens, the game continues on as normal.
That kind of timer is particularly useful for tournaments or competitions, for other casual games, not so much.

Generally, it's probably a good idea to just accept that not everybody is a fast player. If it doesn't suit your taste, try to finish that game and maybe not play with them anymore in the future, or discuss why they're taking longer than you think is necessary. After all, indeed, in most games 2 minutes per turn is probably unnecessary, but would a time limit really solve that?
I don't think so, it would just make that person completely avoid playing on your table. The main excitement and interest of a time limit for me is in quick and relatively simple games, it adds some adrenaline and excitement, but I've never seen it as something that will make slower players play faster.

Pontuação: +2

6. CREADOR,

Yes, but in 1000 Miles, losing one of your cards can result in a penalty, just like in Ninety-Nine, and in Scopa, failing to play a card within the time limit allows the other player to collect cards or score a scopa.

7. Nikola,

So if we imagine an example:
In Scopa, your time expired, and your opponent collected all the cards on the table, what changes?
Nothing, it still has to be your turn, because as I said, random cards can't be skipped in that game, and if it's still your turn, there is hardly any point. You can't discard cards in Scopa, because at the end of the round, the points are determined based on how many cards were collected and who owns them.
Furthermore, what if there were no cards on the table? I mentioned that exact situation giving you an advantage in a game with a time limit in my previous post.

In 1000 miles, you can't lose a card and be skipped when the time runs out, because this would allow you to again have an advantage:
If you are currently winning, but can't drive forward, yet you don't want your opponent to win the round, it's really simple: You just lose all your cards thanks to the timer. You'll have 0, and since you can't do anything, the round is over.
Note that the rule is changed in Ninety nine: You now simply lose 2 pennies and are skipped, there's no more losing of a random card. This one was changed recently, as it was indeed just bad in practice to lose something random without knowing what you lost. It created unintentional bugs, for example, if you play a 10, and while choosing plus or minus 10, you may lose that card because the time expired, but you don't really know that you lost it, so you were just wasting further time making a selection in that menu which wasn't going to be valid anyway. The same applied for aces. That same bug would have existed in miles, when making a choice of which player to attack.

It's simple enough to apply a random penalty in any game, but if you can't realistically skip your turn when the time expires, there's no point. The time limit shouldn't ever give you an advantage, which means that it's basically impossible to apply it everywhere, as skipping a turn anytime you want can be a big advantage in some games, or it may just be impossible to skip one at a given moment.

7 Mensagens, 1 Páginas:  1 ↖ Voltar a lista de tópicos

Responder ao tópico

Você deve estar conectado para poder postar.

Esqueceu sua senha? Criar uma conta